Friday, September 26, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Grandpa Jones

On Saturday September 20th my Grandpa, LaGrand Jones, passed away at the age of 85. Although he had been sick for quite some time and his condition had been deteriorating quickly it still came suddenly for me. We were fortunate to be able to make it to Idaho Falls to say goodbye to him before he passed. This week has been full of family time, I think 90% of his family was able to attend the funeral and those who weren't were greatly missed. We all learned a lot about this man as we read his life history, looked through photos and family history sheets, and all shared memories of him with each other.
He served in the Navy for three years during WWII, worked hard for his family, enjoyed his hobbies of hunting and horseback riding, raised 5 amazing kids, has 48 grandchildren and 39 great-grandchildren. After someone passes away you hear a lot of things about them, here are some of the things I heard to describe this man: humble, funny, easy to love, a hard worker, kind, loving, easy to please, even though his body was worn out and he had to be in immense pain-he never complained, he was a good man.
I love my Grandpa Jones very much and am going to miss his quiet demeanor, his sly smile and his twinkling blue eyes. I'm grateful to be a part of his legacy.

5 comments:

Hilarie said...

What a great post Britanie. Grandpa truly was a wonderful man. It was great to see so much family as well.

Hilarie said...

Hey Britanie, it's just me again... Remember how we were talking about turning your blog into a book...? This is the site I was thinking of http://www.blurb.com/

3in3mom said...

Britnie,

I have done two blurb books and it turns out really nice--I blog a lot so I can put em in my books (I have 2 each covering 6 months).

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, but sounds like he left a great legacy.

Love, Chalice

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Your grandpa is so cute. I love that picture of him in uniform. I'm glad you were able to make it to see him and help with everything. And I'm glad you're back!

Kindall Klan said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, he sounds like he was a great guy and has a wonderful posterity! hugs!